» Who We Are
» What We Inspect
» ASHI Standards of Practice
» EPA Radon Map of IL
» About Radon
» About Mold
» Request a FREE Quote
» Make an Appointment
» Contact Us
» Great Links
» Homeowner Encyclopedia
» Phone: 815-229-6010
» Phone: 815-229-1058
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Why do I need a home inspection?
- A. A home inspection is an important step in the home buying process.
Professionally trained home inspectors assist in maintaining the health of your home and a property inspection makes home maintenance easy by catching minor problems before they become big projects.
In just a few hours you'll have a detailed report of the condition of your home so that you can plan for needed repairs and upgrades when it's time to make them. When purchasing a home, many homebuyers have saved literally thousands of dollars through information provided by the home inspector.
Homeowners who have owned their homes for several years can even benefit from a home inspector's knowledge of maintenance and repairs, and experience to avert potential problems.
Many independent and nonprofit organizations exist to promote ethical practice and professional standards throughout the home inspection industry.
We don't print our reports on site, so the inspector has a chance to think about the words used to document the defects observed.
- Q. Who exactly would require a home inspection?
- A. When buying a new home, new construction home or a pre-owned home, you need an inspection for your peace of mind. Sellers also benefit from home inspections by knowing the condition of their home before listing. They are spared the embarrassment of the buyer's home inspector finding major defects with their home that they were not aware of and possibly will hold up the real estate transaction. If your new home still has a home warranty through a builder it is smart to have a home inspection before it expires.
- Q. I've checked this house out thoroughly myself, why do I need an inspection?
- A. Home Inspectors have the training, experience and competence that comes with being in the industry and inspecting hundreds of homes. We know what to look for and what to look at. Considering the average home, there are literally hundreds items that should be inspected.
While you or someone you may know can examine the home and roughly determine the overall condition of it, inspectors inspect homes daily, each and every week throughout the year and know exactly what to look for in a home.
We detect minor/major flaws, defects in workmanship, improper installation and construction parameters and unsafe conditions that the general public would miss.
- Q. What makes you different from the local competition?
- A. The industry is full of inspectors who neither have the training, experience or qualifications to qualify as a home inspector.
A professional knows what to look for and reports the condition to their clients in a detailed report outlining the condition of the home and provides insight to the buyer regarding the actual condition of all the items in the home, so the buyer can make an informed buying decision.
- Q. What is the cost of a home inspection?
- A. The cost of your inspection depends on the number of bedrooms, age, and number of fixed AC units that serve the home. Testing for radon and termite inspections are additional.
- Q. How long does your inspection take?
- A. Every home is different depending on the number of defects observed, but the average time is 2 to 3 hours to inspect the entire property.
- Q. How large is the inspection report?
- A. . A completed inspection report is about 15-20 pages including graphics and based upon the state of the home inspected, the more things found in the home that are deficient, the more the report contains.
- Q. Should I be at the home inspection?
- A. Yes, if it is possible, you should be there at the home inspection. We recommend that you be present at your home inspection so that you can ask your inspector any questions and see first hand any areas needing maintenance or repair.
- Q. Can I call you for advice after the inspection?
- A. Yes, feel free to call anytime.
Return to top of page
© 2011-2018 LazrWeb all rights reserved